Protect Your Assets
You can benefit from the tax savings that result from supporting The Wilderness Society without giving up the assets that you'd like your family to receive someday with a donation in the form of a charitable lead trust.
There are two ways that charitable lead trusts make payments to The Wilderness Society:
- A charitable lead annuity trust pays a fixed amount each year to The Wilderness Society and is more attractive when interest rates are low.
- A charitable lead unitrust pays a variable amount each year based on the value of the assets in the trust. With a unitrust, if the trust's assets go up in value, for example, the payments to The Wilderness Society go up as well.
Learn More About This Gift
Calculate Your Benefits
Submit a few details and see how a charitable lead trust can benefit you.
An Example of How It Works
George would like to support The Wilderness Society and receive tax benefits. George received a windfall amount of income and needs a large income tax deduction to offset the income. Following his advisor’s recommendation, George funds a grantor charitable lead annuity trust with assets valued at $1,000,000. George’s trust pays $60,000 (6% of the initial fair market value) to The Wilderness Society each year for 15 years, which will total $900,000. After that, the balance in the trust reverts back to George. He receives an income tax charitable deduction of $770,960. Assuming the trust earns an average 8% annual rate of return, George receives approximately $1,637,530 at the end of the trust term.
*Based on a 2.0% charitable midterm federal rate. Deductions and calculations will vary depending on your personal circumstances.
- Contact us at 888-736-4897 or email@example.com to talk about supporting The Wilderness Society by setting up a charitable lead trust.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include The Wilderness Society in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: The Wilderness Society
Address: 1801 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20006
Federal Tax ID Number: 53-0167933
Information contained herein was accurate at the time of posting. The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in any examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results. California residents: Annuities are subject to regulation by the State of California. Payments under such agreements, however, are not protected or otherwise guaranteed by any government agency or the California Life and Health Insurance Guarantee Association. Oklahoma residents: A charitable gift annuity is not regulated by the Oklahoma Insurance Department and is not protected by a guaranty association affiliated with the Oklahoma Insurance Department. South Dakota residents: Charitable gift annuities are not regulated by and are not under the jurisdiction of the South Dakota Division of Insurance.